Sunday, November 20, 2011

The Shape Of Bread

I am sharing with you the recipe I have been using to make wheat bread in the bread machine. The original recipe came from, "Bread Machine Magic" but I made a few changes to it along the way.
It is interesting that the amount of bread the kids eat depends on the shape it is served in. When I cooked it as a loaf, they ate about 2/3 of the loaf but said they liked it. I made it into rolls and they loved it. It was gone in a flash and they were asking for more. The same thing when I made it as rolls but added basil and garlic to the dough. The other night I made it into bread sticks, spreading the tops with garlic butter before I baked them. They were eventually all eaten but not gobbled up like the rolls had been. Does the shape have anything to do with the flavor? What makes them more desirable when they are just rolls? Who knows! These are good for you and the kiddos love them so I will be making rolls to go with the Chicken Alfredo for dinner tonight!

Honey Wheat Rolls (bread machine)
1 1/8 cup milk
1 egg
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cu bread flour
3 tbsp wheat germ
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp olive oil or butter
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp sugar
2 tsp active dry yeast
Place ingredients into bread machine pan in order given. Select "dough" setting. When the dough is ready it will beep. Remove onto floured board and gently roll and stretch dough into rope. With a sharp knife cut into about 12 slices. Gently form each piece into a ball and place on a greased pan. They can be touching or apart. Cover and let rise 30-45 minutes. (I turn the oven on to warm for a couple minutes, turn it off then place the rolls in to rise.)
Bake at 375 for 20 minutes.
Variations:
Add 1 tsp basil or Italian seasoning mix and 1 tsp garlic powder with the flour.
This recipe works to make a loaf of bread.
Brush garlic butter on tops of dough just before baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment