Friday, October 21, 2011

Friday already?

Yesterday my new LG washer and dryer arrived! I had bought it at Home Depot almost 3 weeks ago but it wasn't in stock so I had to wait... Now I have them, Woo hoo! The kids think the best thing about it is the 2 giant boxes they came in!
Somehow, the arrival of the washer and dryer meant some furniture had to be moved around in the house. The new little freezer didn't fit next to the washer/dryer like I had hoped and I didn't love it being next to the trash cans so I had Ian and Jacob bring it into the kitchen. It is packed full thanks to Aunt Melissa who is moving and gave us her deep freeze contents! That meant moving the utility cart thingy into the dining room. That meant cleaning the floor, re-organizing the freezer since I had everything out of it to move it....etc etc. It is the "If you Give A Mouse A Cookie" type of thing.
Meanwhile, 2 apple pies got baked. They were delicious but it takes longer to prep apples for pie than I thought. But, it was worth it as the pies were delicious! Recipe for 2 pies: 19 peeled, cored and sliced granny smith apples sprinkled with lemon juice, 3 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, 1-3/4 c. sugar, 2/3 c. flour. Mix in a big bowl and divide into shells (store bought are great!). Cut about a tablespoon of butter into bits and put on top of the apples before putting on the top crust. Slit crust, cover edges with foil. Bake on 400 for 45 min. Remove foil and bake 10-15 more minutes.
I also tried my hand at making butternut squash and acorn squash. Sarah, Emily, Kyle, Ian and Jacob liked the pre-packaged butternut. I got at Costco the other day. It wasn't that much work and tasted great. It was worth the effort. The acorn squash wasn't so great and was harder to fix. I am pureeing that to use in some muffins this weekend.
Kyle and Emily had their student led conferences with Steve yesterday. That went well and resulted in Steve working in Emily's class this morning on their donated lap tops!
I have to say that it is so wonderful to be in a place in my life that does not involve any real drama!

No comments:

Post a Comment