Monday, December 5, 2011

Monday!

With Thanksgiving being celebrated in our home on Saturday, I haven't taken time to check in with my blog! The meal went very well by the way! We had a Pamela Anderson of a turkey....so much breast and very little dark meat. I cooked this 24lb bird in an oven bag, like I have done for years and it turned out moist and perfect. Also on the menu was homemade cranberry relish, mashed fresh sweet potatoes with marshmallows, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, green bean casserole, steamed carrots, relish tray, Trader Joe's cornbread and dinner rolls! At the ended of dinner poor Emily got her foot tangled on the leg of the card table and it ended up tipping over. Food and dishes went flying! Fortunately, Emily was not hurt. One broken plate and some cranberry on the carpet and a story to make us all laugh next Thanksgiving!

The meat we had ordered from Da-Le Ranch was delivered on Friday afternoon. It was more than we had expected and after filling my 3 freezers and Steve's parents' freezer we had cold hands and were tired! The parts we didn't want, (tongue, kidney, heart, etc), went to someone who feeds one of their dogs a raw diet. We were all happy to have have it go to someone who could use it! Angie had to come and pick up a couple of boxes full that they weren't planning to pick up until Sunday because we could squeeze another bit into the freezers. I didn't get to cooking any of it until today, other than soup bones for broth. I cooked a pork butt in the crock pot with just a bit of Italian dressing, vidalia onion dressing, salt and pepper. It was incredibly tender and juicy! I cannot wait to get into the beef as it looks amazing!

Tomorrow Amber gets her cast put on her arm for her fractured wrist. I was expecting to take her to Rady Children's Hospital but was told today that I have to take her to Balboa Naval Hospital. I am sooo not happy about that but it seems there is nothing I can do about it. Amber is still hoping for a pink cast although I suspect she may be disappointed. I need to make sure I understand exactly how using Tricare Prime benefits works here in a military town so I do not get surprised like this again. It is very different than in Denver since there were no military medical facilities nearby.

We have had some funny things said around here today....Tyler suggested "Nationwide Insurance" temporarily change it's song to "Santa Claus is on your side". Jacob said to Kyle, "if you take your arm off you can use the remote better!" (Kyle had made this crazy claw arm out of pipe cleaners).
Sarah had to apologize to Tyler for putting a big leaf of lettuce on his head while trying unsuccessfully not to laugh, "I really am sorry I put lettuce on your head!".

No comments:

Post a Comment